Organisational chart, org chart, organigram and hierarchical chart are all names for the same thing – a graphical representation of the roles within an organisation and how they relate to one another, often including lines of authority.
A good organisational chart will also provide the name, email address and a photo of the person currently in each role, making it a useful directory of the organisation. This means that it is not a static document but a dynamic tool to be kept up to date as the organisation changes.
Functions and benefits of organisation charts
If you’re wondering if this is the best use of your time, consider this: An organisational chart, used effectively, can also function as a management tool, enhance communication and improve performance, by:
- Clarifying the objectives of the company and how each department and employee contributes to achieving them
- Helping departments to understand what other departments do and identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration
- Highlighting gaps in the organisation that need to be considered when planning for growth
- Helping managers to discover skill sets that may not be available in their own department
- Making it easier for employees to understand their role and responsibilities and how they contribute to the overall success of the organisation
- Helping employees, especially new hires and dispersed teams, understand who is who, who does what and who works where
- Making it possible for employees to get in touch with the appropriate person quickly and easily – for example, a colleague’s direct superior if they need to file a complaint or positive report
- Motivating employees by showing them where opportunities exist to progress within the organisation
- Providing an overview of the company for use in presentations to clients or other external stakeholders
The Proven Group
Creating effective organisational charts takes time and skill. The Proven Group can design and maintain an organisational chart that reflects the structure and management style of your business and focuses on achieving your goals. Contact us today to discuss the option that best suits your needs and budget.
The Proven Group can also write other professional documents for you, including:
- User manuals
- Procedures and policies
- Standard operating processes
- Position descriptions
- Job ads
- General correspondence
- Business proposals
- Business tenders
- Business awards applications
The Proven Group is a recruitment agency in the western suburbs of Melbourne, Ballarat, Geelong and other areas throughout regional Victoria, with extensive experience in every aspect of recruitment and professional document-writing.