With more than 500 million users worldwide, LinkedIn is easily the largest professional network on the planet. It’s not only large but also highly effective in helping professionals in many different industries get connected, stay connected and continually grow their network.
Whether or not you’re looking for a new job, LinkedIn is your chance to get your name and face in front of hundreds (or even thousands) of professionals in your industry. If you are looking for a job, that’s essential. As the saying goes, it’s not what you know, but who you know. Even if you’re not job-hunting, a LinkedIn presence is now expected in many industries and professions.
However, just having a LinkedIn profile is not enough. If you’re going to capture the attention of and connect with the people who can help you expand your career, it also needs to stand out from the crowd.
Set up a great profile and actively engage with LinkedIn
No matter how good your profile, you can’t simply set it up and then forget about it. To really get the best out of LinkedIn, you have to actively engage with it.
These simple tips will help you set up a great profile and use LinkedIn proactively to further your career:
1. Add a professional headshot – don’t forget to smile!
2. Create an informative headline that includes your industry and location.
3. Ensure that your summary shines.
4. Describe your experience and make it a compelling story.
5. Customise your URL.
6. Connect like a master connector.
7. Complete all the sections to ensure that your page achieves that ‘all-star’ status.
8. Ask your connections for recommendations.
9. Start liking and commenting on your connections’ blog posts and status updates, and post relevant content on a regular basis.
The Proven Group
Your LinkedIn profile is your online résumé. If it doesn’t stand out from the crowd, or you don’t have a LinkedIn presence, you’re missing an opportunity!
We at The Proven Group can assist you to look your best on this influential platform, significantly improving your chances of being approached. Our experienced LinkedIn profile writers in Ballarat, Geelong and Melbourne know just how to showcase the talents that employers value and get you noticed. Contact us to get started.