If you are in the midst of a job hunt, chances are you have done more than your fair share of remote interviews. While preliminary phone and virtual interviews have been a step in the modern job search process for years, restrictions surrounding COVID-19 introduced a new normal to the interview process.
Just because you are interviewing over a virtual platform, this doesn’t mean you should be preparing any less. Instead, virtual interviews require a level of preparation not necessary for in-person interviews. When you participate in a virtual interview you are responsible for creating the environment for the interview, because it is not taking place in one office, it is taking place in 2 offices.
As you prepare for your upcoming virtual interview, follow this checklist to ensure you are adding to the virtual interview environment, and not retracting from it:
- Choose a professional background for yourself such as a bookshelf or a blank wall
- Find a brightly lit spot to interview from, such as in front of a window
- Practice looking into the camera while speaking
- Pick a quiet space where you are unlikely to be interrupted during the interview, ideally an animal and child free zone
- Silence your phone and any desktop notifications
- Practice using your virtual platform so you are familiar with it on the day of your meeting
- Test your connection and IT prior to the interview
- Be online 5 minutes before your interview time
- Wear your most professional, friendly attire
Do you still have more questions…………………
When specialist help is required, The Proven Group offers a tailored service covering all your job needs from application to interview contact us to arrange a confidential, no-obligation discussion.